Occupational therapy specialists are health professionals that work with people of all ages to overcome physical obstacles or ailments to help them get back to fully engaging in their daily lives. Occupational therapy specialists use scientific bases and a holistic perspective to promote a person’s ability to fulfill their daily routines and roles that can be affected or lost due to injury, trauma, illnesses, or other conditions. They empower people by optimizing their abilities to perform activities that are meaningful to them, so-called occupations. People‘s occupations include work, play, education, leisure, rest and sleep, and social participation. As various health issues can pose barriers to participating in these daily activities, occupational therapists help people to:
- Use the observations, answers, and medical history to evaluate the patient’s condition and needs.
- Establish a treatment plan for patients, laying out specific goals to be accomplished.
- Help patients learn new ways of doing things, regain skills and develop new ones, use materials or equipment that makes life easier, or adapt their environment to work better for them.
- Evaluate a patient’s home or workplace and identify how it can be better suited to the patient’s health needs.
- Educate a patient’s family and employer about how to accommodate and care for the patient.
Also, as health care professionals, occupational therapists work in a wide range of settings. Settings include hospitals, clinics, care facilities, vocational programs, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, schools, home care, private practice, health promotion, disability prevention and management, and more. Get expert occupational therapy at Gemma center from highly qualified specialists.