Rheumatoid arthritis: Does pregnancy have an affect on symptoms?
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms normally subside all through pregnancy.
By Mayo Clinic Employees
Lots of girls with rheumatoid arthritis, a disorder in which your immune method mistakenly attacks your body’s tissues, report enhancement in their symptoms all through pregnancy. Lots of also report a flare-up of symptoms right after childbirth, ordinarily within just the very first three months.
Scientists are finding out why these changes take place. Since girls are extra probably than guys to create rheumatoid arthritis, a single theory is that woman intercourse hormones, estrogen and progesterone, engage in a job.
But girls who get medicines containing estrogen — as aspect of their oral contraceptive or hormone substitute treatment for menopause — ordinarily will not have any change in their rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
All through pregnancy, the mother’s immune method changes to avert the rejection of the fetus. Scientists are finding out whether or not these changes might be connected to an enhancement in rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.May perhaps twenty, 2020
- Handout on well being: Rheumatoid arthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders. http://www.niams.nih.gov/well being_details/Rheumatic_Sickness/default.asp. Accessed March 6, 2017.
- Bermas BL. Rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/household. Accessed March 6, 2017.
- Pregnancy and rheumatic sickness. American University of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Client-Caregiver/Disorders-Situations/Dwelling-Well-with-Rheumatic-Sickness/Pregnancy-Rheumatic-Sickness. Accessed March 6, 2017.
- Ince-Askan H, et al. Pregnancy and rheumatoid arthritis. Finest Exercise & Exploration Medical Rheumatology. 201529:580.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. Centers for Sickness Management and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/fundamental principles/rheumatoid.htm. Accessed March 6, 2017.
See extra In-depth