Print & Share (PDF – 1.2MB)
Study basic safety suggestions to guard you and your family when getting ready meals that have flour.
Flour is a raw meals. It might not look like a raw meals, but it typically is, just like fresh new tomatoes or carrots. The grains from which flour is ground are grown in fields and, like all meals grown outdoors, they might be uncovered to a assortment of hazardous bacteria like Salmonella and pathogenic Escherichia coli (E. coli).
- Flours most generally utilised in property baking and cooking are manufactured directly from raw grains.
- Processing raw grains into flour does not eliminate hazardous bacteria.
- Many meals manufactured with flour also have raw eggs, which might have hazardous bacteria.
- Cooking is the only way to be absolutely sure that meals manufactured with flour and raw eggs are secure.
- By no means eat or taste raw flour, dough, or batter.
Due to the fact 2009 there have been a number of outbreaks of foodborne illness involving raw flour or raw flour-made up of products and solutions like cake mixes and cookie dough. These have resulted in 168 recognized diseases and 20 hospitalizations.
Examine out this checklist of DO’s and DON’Ts to help keep you and your family secure when handling raw flour.
- DO follow bundle instructions on baking mixes and other flour made up of products and solutions for suitable cooking temperatures and specified occasions.
- DO keep all raw meals, like flour and eggs, independent from ready-to eat meals. Don’t forget, flour is a powder and spreads effortlessly.
- DO refrigerate cookie and pastry dough according to bundle instructions. Use a refrigerator thermometer to be absolutely sure your refrigerator is at a secure 40°F.
- DO clear up cautiously just after operating with flour or raw dough and eggs:
- Wash fingers comprehensively with cleaning soap and jogging h2o, and,
- Wash utensils, bowls, baking pans and chopping boards, and counter tops with heat, soapy h2o.
- DO NOT eat or enable children to eat or play with raw dough products and solutions manufactured with any brand name of flour or baking mix before cooking.
- DO NOT keep recalled flour. Throw it away.
- DO NOT allow children use raw dough for crafts or play clay.
- DO NOT use products and solutions that have raw flour, like cake mix to make milkshakes.
- DO NOT use raw cookie dough in ice cream (the cookie dough in ice cream bought in shops has been handled to eliminate hazardous bacteria).