Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone that your body naturally generates in the adrenal gland. DHEA will help deliver other hormones, including testosterone and estrogen. Pure DHEA concentrations peak in early adulthood and then slowly slide as you age.
A artificial variation of DHEA is readily available as a tablet, capsule, powder, topical product and gel.
Individuals use DHEA as an anti-aging remedy and to make improvements to physical functionality. DHEA is also utilized to treat melancholy and signs or symptoms of menopause.
Study on DHEA for unique disorders consists of:
- Ageing. In principle, getting DHEA dietary supplements to preserve DHEA concentrations could gradual the aging method, quite possibly increasing well-getting, cognitive perform and body composition. But so far investigate hasn’t proved this to be genuine. Extra studies are necessary to greater comprehend whether DHEA supplementation can counteract some of the effects of aging. A modest examine proposed that getting DHEA dietary supplements may well make improvements to pores and skin hydration and firmness, and reduce aging places in aged grown ups.
- Depression. DHEA may well be much more productive at managing melancholy than placebo, especially in persons with minimal DHEA concentrations.
- Osteoporosis. Study results on the effects of DHEA supplementation in the treatment of osteoporosis are blended. Extra investigate is necessary to determine whether getting DHEA dietary supplements improves bone density in more mature grown ups with minimal DHEA.
- Vaginal atrophy. Restricted investigate implies that DHEA may well make improvements to vaginal dryness in postmenopausal gals.
Study on the effects of DHEA on muscle toughness and physical functionality experienced blended effects, but most studies indicate DHEA supplementation has no outcome on muscle toughness in youthful or more mature grown ups. The National Collegiate Athletic Affiliation has banned DHEA use amid athletes.
DHEA may well inevitably prove to have added benefits in managing persons diagnosed with specified disorders, these as adrenal insufficiency and lupus. Nevertheless, more studies are necessary.
Studies have shown top quality manage of this complement to usually be minimal.
Our just take
Whilst some investigate implies that DHEA may well be a bit practical in managing melancholy and vaginal atrophy, there is minimal proof to aid anti-aging claims. Also, DHEA use can induce really serious side effects. Avoid making use of this complement.
Protection and side effects
DHEA is a hormone. Use of this complement may well maximize concentrations of androgen and have a steroid outcome. DHEA also may well maximize the chance of hormone-delicate cancers, including prostate, breast and ovarian cancers. If you have any kind of cancer or are at chance of cancer, don’t use DHEA.
Really don’t use DHEA if you might be pregnant or breastfeeding.
Think about averting use of DHEA if you have superior cholesterol or a affliction that impacts the supply of blood to the heart (ischemic heart disease). DHEA may well minimize superior-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “very good,” cholesterol concentrations.
Use of DHEA also may well worsen psychiatric diseases and maximize the chance of mania in persons who have temper diseases.
DHEA also may well induce oily pores and skin, pimples and unwelcome, male-pattern hair expansion in gals (hirsutism).
Probable interactions contain:
- Antipsychotics. Use of DHEA with antipsychotics these as clozapine (Clozaril, Versacloz, many others) may well minimize the drug’s usefulness.
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Carbatrol, many others). Use of DHEA with this drug utilized to treat seizures, nerve soreness and bipolar problem may well minimize the drug’s usefulness.
- Estrogen. Really don’t use DHEA with estrogen. Combining DHEA and estrogen may well induce signs or symptoms of excessive estrogen, these as nausea, headache and sleeplessness.
- Lithium. Use of DHEA with lithium may well minimize the drug’s usefulness.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Use of DHEA with this sort of antidepressant may well induce manic signs or symptoms.
- Testosterone. Really don’t use DHEA with testosterone. Combining DHEA and testosterone may well induce signs or symptoms these as minimal sperm rely and enlarged breasts in gentlemen (gynecomastia) and the enhancement of commonly male attributes in gals.
- Triazolam (Halcion). Making use of DHEA with this sedative may well maximize the effects of this drug, causing abnormal sedation and affecting your breathing and heart charge.
- Valproic acid. Use of DHEA with this medication utilized to treat seizures and bipolar problem may well minimize the drug’s usefulness.
- DHEA. Pure Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2021.
- Pizzorono JE, et al., eds. Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). In: Textbook of Pure Medicine. 5th ed. Elsevier 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2021.
- DHEA. IBM Micromedex. https://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2021.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone. Specifics & Comparisons eAnswers. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/points-comparisons-on the internet/. Accessed Jan. 21, 2021.
- Kellerman RD, et al. Popular herbs and dietary dietary supplements. In: Conn’s Current Remedy 2021. Elsevier 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2021.
- 2020-21 NCAA banned substances. The National Collegiate Athletic Affiliation. https://www.ncaa.org/activity-science-institute/matters/2020-21-ncaa-banned-substances. Accessed Jan. 23, 2021.