Chromated arsenicals, which includes chromated copper arsenate (CCA), is a team of pesticides made up of chromium, copper, and/or arsenic that defend wooden against termites, fungi and other pests that can degrade or threaten the integrity of wooden products and solutions. Chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden is made use of to deliver business wooden shake, shingles, permanent foundation help beams and other wooden products and solutions permitted by accredited labeling. EPA is currently reevaluating all chromated arsenicals as aspect of the Registration Critique program (see Docket Variety EPA-HQ-OPP-2015-0349 at https://www.regulations.gov).
- Chromated arsenicals has been made use of as a wooden preservative pesticide given that the nineteen forties.
- Chromated arsenicals pesticides are utilized utilizing specialised large-stress products in wooden cure facilities by licensed pesticide applicators only.
- Prior to 2004, wooden taken care of with chromated arsenicals was made use of in household constructions this kind of as decks and playsets.
- In December 2003, chromated arsenicals makers voluntarily discontinued producing chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden products and solutions for house owner utilizes.
- Nonetheless, EPA has not banned chromated arsenicals and does not require the elimination of existing constructions produced with wooden taken care of with chromated arsenicals or the encompassing soil.
- If you have an more mature deck or other composition produced with chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden, making use of a penetrating protective coating (this kind of as oil- or water-based stains) on a normal basis could reduce the leaching of chemical compounds.
- Alternatives to chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden incorporate the subsequent:
- Wooden taken care of with other preservatives accredited by EPA
- Wooden-option and composite elements and
- Species of wooden that are resistant to pests.
Disposing of Goods Treated with Chromated Arsenicals Securely
- Whilst chromated arsenicals pesticide products and solutions are not offered to house owners, men and women could encounter wooden taken care of with chromated arsenicals in a household placing (e.g., existing taken care of constructions).
- Reuse of chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden is not subject matter to regulation by EPA beneath pesticide legal guidelines.
- If house owners want to dispose of chromated arsenicals-taken care of wooden, it can commonly be disposed of by standard trash assortment (i.e., as municipal solid waste)
- Nonetheless, condition and area governments could have particular guidance or guidelines for disposing of taken care of wooden, so be sure to test with your condition or area waste management program.
- Wooden taken care of with chromated arsenicals should not be reused in products and solutions this kind of as mulch.
- Do not burn up CCA or other preservative-taken care of wooden in a household placing to stay clear of achievable inhalation of poisonous chemical compounds in the smoke and ash.
- Put on goggles and a dust mask when sawing wooden taken care of with chromated arsenicals, and wash your palms after dealing with.
- The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) is the federal legislation that generates the framework for the appropriate management and disposal of hazardous and nonhazardous solid waste.
Top rated of Page