Breast cancer prevention: How to minimize your risk
Breast cancer prevention begins with healthier patterns — this sort of as limiting alcoholic beverages and staying physically lively. Have an understanding of what you can do to minimize your breast cancer risk.
By Mayo Clinic Personnel
If you happen to be worried about acquiring breast cancer, you might be thinking if there are methods you can take to assist reduce breast cancer. Some risk factors, this sort of as loved ones history, cannot be improved. On the other hand, there are life style alterations you can make to lower your risk.
What can I do to minimize my risk of breast cancer?
Study displays that life style alterations can minimize the risk of breast cancer, even in girls at high risk. To lower your risk:
- Restrict alcoholic beverages. The more alcoholic beverages you consume, the larger your risk of acquiring breast cancer. The general advice — based on research on the influence of alcoholic beverages on breast cancer risk — is to restrict on your own to no more than a single consume a working day, as even modest quantities improve risk.
- Keep a healthier weight. If your weight is healthier, get the job done to preserve that weight. If you need to have to drop weight, request your health practitioner about healthier techniques to execute this. Cut down the amount of calories you try to eat each and every working day and slowly and gradually improve the amount of work out.
- Be physically lively. Actual physical action can assist you preserve a healthier weight, which assists reduce breast cancer. Most healthier grown ups need to intention for at the very least one hundred fifty minutes a week of average aerobic action or seventy five minutes of vigorous aerobic action weekly, plus energy education at the very least two times a week.
- Breast-feed. Breast-feeding might perform a function in breast cancer prevention. The for a longer period you breast-feed, the larger the protecting influence.
- Restrict postmenopausal hormone remedy. Mixture hormone remedy might improve the risk of breast cancer. Discuss with your health practitioner about the dangers and benefits of hormone remedy. You might be capable to deal with your indications with nonhormonal therapies and drugs. If you choose that the benefits of short-expression hormone remedy outweigh the dangers, use the least expensive dose that performs for you and carry on to have your health practitioner observe the length of time you happen to be getting hormones.
- Stay clear of publicity to radiation and environmental pollution. Clinical-imaging procedures, this sort of as computerized tomography, use high doses of radiation. Whilst more reports are desired, some research implies a website link between breast cancer and cumulative publicity to radiation above your life span. Cut down your publicity by getting this sort of exams only when absolutely required.
Can a healthier diet reduce breast cancer?
Ingesting a healthier diet might minimize your risk of some styles of cancer, as nicely as diabetes, heart disorder and stroke. For illustration, girls who try to eat a Mediterranean diet supplemented with additional-virgin olive oil and blended nuts might have a decreased risk of breast cancer. The Mediterranean diet focuses on typically on plant-based foods, this sort of as fruits and greens, full grains, legumes, and nuts. People today who stick to the Mediterranean diet pick out healthier fats, this sort of as olive oil, above butter and try to eat fish instead of pink meat.
Retaining a healthier weight also is a critical aspect in breast cancer prevention.
Is there a website link between delivery control tablets and breast cancer?
There is some proof that hormonal contraception, which contains delivery control tablets and IUDs that release hormones, improves the risk of breast cancer. But the risk is deemed very modest, and it decreases immediately after you end working with hormonal contraceptives.
A recent analyze that showed an affiliation between hormonal contraceptive use and breast cancer determined a single extra breast cancer could be envisioned for each and every 7,690 girls who use hormonal contraception for at the very least a single year.
Talk about your contraceptive options with your health practitioner. Also take into consideration the benefits of hormonal contraception, this sort of as controlling menstrual bleeding, protecting against an undesirable pregnancy, and reducing the risk of other cancers, like endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer.
What else can I do?
Be vigilant about breast cancer detection. If you notice any alterations in your breasts, this sort of as a new lump or pores and skin alterations, consult with your health practitioner. Also, request your health practitioner when to start out mammograms and other screenings based on your private history.Feb. 04, 2021
- Breast cancer prevention (PDQ) ) — Individual Model. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/styles/breast/individual/breast-prevention-pdq#portion/all. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- What can I do to minimize my risk of breast cancer? Facilities for Disease Control and Avoidance. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/simple_information/prevention.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Colditz GA. Cancer prevention. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/research. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Diet program and physical action: What’s the cancer relationship? American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-leads to/diet-physical-action/diet-and-physical-action.html. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Actual physical action and cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/leads to-prevention/risk/being overweight/physical-action-point-sheet. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Can I lower my risk of breast cancer? American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/risk-and-prevention/can-i-lower-my-risk.html. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Chen WY. Elements that modify breast cancer risk in girls. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/research. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Oral contraceptives and cancer risk. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/leads to-prevention/risk/hormones/oral-contraceptives-point-sheet#q3. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Menopausal hormone remedy and cancer risk. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-leads to/professional medical-remedies/menopausal-hormone-replacement-remedy-and-cancer-risk.html. Accessed Nov. 4, 2018.
- Mørch LS, et al. Modern hormonal contraception and the risk of breast cancer. The New England Journal of Medication. 2017377:2228.
- Schwingshackl L, et al. Adherence for Mediterranean diet and risk of cancer: An up to date systematic evaluate and meta-investigation. Nutrients. 20179:1063.
See more In-depth